The Americas Award is an initiative of CIFAL Atlanta and the United Nations Institute for Training and Research (UNITAR) to honor remarkable persons from countries in the Americas who have successfully implemented programs and best practices towards the promotion of socio-economic development and the achievement of the eight United Nations MDGs.
Through an annual competition, the Americas Award is given in the eight areas covering the MDGs:
- Eradicate extreme poverty and hunger
- Achieve universal primary education
- Promote gender equality and empower women
- Reduce child mortality
- Improve maternal health
- Combat HIV/AIDS, malaria and other diseases
- Ensure environmental sustainability
- Develop a global partnership for development
Last year’s ceremony took place in Trinidad and Tobago on October 9th at 3:00pm.